Shocked to see me?!
Barbara "Barb" Thunderman (née McBooger) is a main character on the Thundermans. She is a retired superhero from Metroburg formerly known by her superhero name, "Electress." She moved her family to Hiddenville in order to raise the kids and live a normal life. Barb is portrayed by Rosa Blasi.
Barb was born in Metroburg with superpowers but didn't know that she had her superpowers until the day she met Hank Thunderman. After Barb and Hank's first kiss, her Electrokinesis powers activated resulting in sparks fly and huge power surge as revealed in Parents Just Don't Thunderstand.
Barb went on to become the famous superhero, "Electress" and saved a lot of people. In order to bring up their kids like a normal family, Barb retired and moved to Hiddenville with her family. She quickly left behind her superhero life, unlike Hank. She doesn't talk much about the superhero stories as explored in the episode, Who's Your Mommy.
In Aunt Misbehavin', Barb had to finally deal with her sister, Mandy, with whom they had not talked for years. Max and Phoebe tracked down Aunt Mandy as a surprise birthday present for her mom, only to realize that they were enemies. She apologized to Mandy for bailing on their breakdance duo gig "Electric McBooger Babes" back in high school.
In "Come What Mayhem", Barb and Hank receive a Platinum Cape Lifetime Achievement Award for their work as superheroes.
Barb's superhero name is "Electress" as mentioned in several episodes and explored deeply in Who's Your Mommy. This section shows all the known things about Barb's life as Electress.
Note: Electress is often misspelled as "Electriss" but as seen in Electress comics and merchandise from Who's Your Mommy, the correct spelling is "Electress."
Electress has a super-charged electric whip that she used to fight criminals with as shown in Who's Your Mommy when Max accidentally sells the whip to a fan of Electress along with other Electress merchandise. When the whip is in the wrong hands, it could explode.
Back in Metroburg, Electress used to run "Take It From Electress" safety commercials for using electricity as shown in Mall Time Crooks. All the commercials used to end with "Paid for by Superheroes for Safety." Examples:
- Take it from Electress - electrical charges are no laughing matter. Use your dome. Protect your home.
- Take it from Electress - if you "charge" into electrical situations, you may be "shocked" by what happens, and that's what's up.
- Take it from Electress - cramming too many plugs into a socket isn't cool.
- Take it from Electress - before leaving home, make sure you turn off the lights because wasting electricity megahertz us all.
In Stealing Home, it is revealed that Barb used to star in a hit Electress medical drama in Metroburg called "Superstrong Medicine" in which she revived patients with her superpowers.
No one tries to look for ways to fit in with the other families more than Barb. All she wants is for her family is to live as ordinary life as possible. While she has the ability to control both light and lightning when needed, she's perfectly okay with leaving her hectic superhero life behind her. Barb is also apparently a bit suggestible as she often adopts the methods of self-help books, usually ending in problems. She is also a bad cook, something her family is aware of. Barb is cranky and she gets extremely aggressive when she is pregnant.
She is a very committed mom. She loves all children but is stern on her children when needed.
Relationship With Other People
- Hank is Barb's husband. They are both very passionate towards each other, and were partners in their days as superheroes. They also like to work together against their kids, as shown in many episodes. However, they have been competitive as well, for example in Up, Up, and Vacay and Kiss Me Nate
- Phoebe is Barb's oldest daughter. They talked a lot in seasons 1 and 2, but not so much in seasons 3 and 4. They are both very passionate about each other's romances, and are both quite serious about whatever they do. However, Phoebe does think that Barb is quite lame. She also believes that Barb is very overprotective of her, as shown in Chutes and Splatters.
- Max is Barb's oldest son. They do not talk that much, and are actually very different in terms of personality. Barb is very serious about whatever she does, while Max is very calm and collected. Max does think that Barb is quite lame. Barb has implied that Max is her least favorite kid(likely because of his previous aspirations to be a supervillain), however that has changed since Max chose to be a superhero. Barb has also helped Max with his romantic life.
- Nora is Barb's middle daughter. They do interact quite a lot. However, Nora thinks that Barb is quite lame, and Nora is able to manipulate her quite a lot. Barb also thinks that Nora uses her powers way too much, as mentioned in quite a few episodes. However, when Nora decides to stop using her powers permanently in Patch Me If You Can, Barb encourages her to be more careful with them rather than stop using them.
- Billy is Barb's youngest son. They have been shown to be hanging around each other quite a lot, but they do not have many interactions between each other. Billy thinks that Barb is lame. Barb also scolds Billy and Nora a lot for their laser related games, such as "Laser Tag" and "Rock-paper-laser".
- Chloe is Barb's youngest daughter. Chloe actually thinks very highly of her, unlike the rest of the kids.
- Dr.Colosso has a crush on Barb, and has been wanting to steal her away from Hank for a long time. However, Barb really hates Dr.Colosso.
Powers and Abilities
- Electrokinesis: Barb’s primary ability is the abilty to shape, create, and manipulate electricity. She is easily capable of controlling the intensity, direction, and amount of electricity that she generates allowing her to achieve various effects. She is seen using this ability multiple times during the series in different forms giving her a plethora of abilities such as electrokinetic teleportation, electrotechnic projection, etc.
- Electrokinetic Teleportation: As seen in Who's Your Mommy, Barb is capable of moving from one place to another by just thinking about it. When using this ability, it appears as a lighting storm generates and disappears and moves her to another location where another lightning storm generates and disappears.
- Electrotechnic Projection: In the episode Have an Ice Birthday, Barb is capable of creating different sparks of electricity from her finger tips that appear as fireworks.
- Technokinesis: Barb is easily capable of manipulating technology and electronics by using electricity on them. However, this can fail as it did multiple times on the Thundervan when it malfunctions or it’s repairing.
- Photokinesis: As seen in multiple episodes, Barb is capable of generating, manipulating, and shaping light. Usually, she opens her palms and a light would appear from them. She can also change the size, intensity, etc. of the light with ease.
- Thundersense: Barb has the ability to sense danger before it occurs, just like the rest of her family. However, it is not always specific enough to tell what the danger is (Thundersense).
- Mediumship: As a Superhero she has the power to see and hear ghosts.(Haunted Thundermans)
- Super Fecundity: - As all superheroes including Barb Thunderman had Chloe Thunderman in a day,
- Dancing: Barb has shown to be great at dancing. Although she is commonly not good at creating her own dances out of thin air, she was capable of Break Dancing easily on Aunt Misbehavin’.
- Whipmanship: Barb is easily capable of using her whip to subdue her enemies. With this, she is capable of controlling her whip with ease, allowing her to do anything she wants with it with willpower.
Super-Speed: Barb has Super Speed after the orb switched her powers.
- She and Hank caught tumble fever when they went undercover to catch someone at the circus. (Dog Day After-School)
- They call themselves The Tumblemens.
- Her name was originally going to be killer.
- She is respected a lot less than Hank by the kids.
- When she reads Phoebe's blogs and Barb comments, her username is ProudMama978.
- Steam with electric sparks comes out of her ears when she's angry.
- Barb is short for Barbara (Up, Up, and Vacay; Patch Me If You Can, and Weird Science Fair)
- She was raised in a barn (Four Supes and a Baby).
- She can play the guitar (Pheebs Will Rock You).
- She got her thundersense at 17 years old.
- Out of the entire family, Barb uses her powers the least.
- Barb and her sister Mandy were part of a struggling breakdance duo called the "Electric McBooger Babes".
- In Better Off Wed Barb Thundermen's full name was explained
- Since she was born on August 6, Barb's zodiac sign would be a Leo
- She has a "fortress of barbitude"(It's Not What You Link), similar to Hank's "Thunder-Man Cave"